Not for purchase
***Must be in landscape mode to print properly. See all free butterfly coloring pages.
Monarch butterfly hatching video:
2. There’s a group of butterflies called night butterflies that have ears on their wings to avoid being picked off and eaten by bats.
3. Butterflies are cold-blooded! They can’t fly if their body temperature is less than 30 degrees Celsius.
4. Butterflies don’t have a mouth; instead they ‘suck’ food up with a kind of drinking-straw-like apparatus called a proboscis.
5. Butterflies are picky about what they eat, usually sucking nectar from flowers that have single petals; colors like red, purple, yellow, and pink are particular favorites. But some butterflies like the Red Admiral are more glutton than gourmet; they prefer feeding on rotting fruit and animal dung. 6- Butterfly wings are actually transparent. What we see as color isn’t pigment but light reflected off the scales on their wings.
7. Female Queen Alexandra butterflies of Papua New Guinea are the world’s largest, with a wing size of nearly 26cm. That’s nearly as wide as a wine bottle is high!
8. Antarctica is the only continent on the planet that has no butterflies.
9. Butterflies have their skeletons on the outside of their bodies (called the exoskeleton); this protects them and keeps water inside their bodies so that they don’t dry out.
10. During the time from hatching to pupation, a caterpillar increases its body size an astonishing 30,000 times or more. Way cool. All art images from You-Color.com are copyrighted and are for personal use only